Silk scarfs are the ultimate representation of style and refinement. If you like silk scarfs, you are not the only one. So many people adore this piece of clothes and they all want to have one in their wardrobe. What is needed to make a silk scarf and how you can wear it are the questions we answer in this post. Keep on reading to find out more about this stylish and extraordinary piece.
How are silk scarfs made?
You can make a silk scarf with a few simple tools and the right materials. Some of the most popular materials for silk scarfs are fabrics like:
- Light Georgette
These fabrics come in a variety of colors, so you can choose the right one for yourself. If you are a fan of original silk, you can always order the fabrics from China, the original country of silk, or you can use the available online and brick-and-mortar vendors to purchase the fabrics.
Which steps to follow when making a silk scarf?
- Decide the size of your scarf
– If you want to play with more traditional sizes, you can choose square-shaped scarfs that are an ideal accessory for warm periods of the year. If you are a fan of winter scarfs, go for the rectangular shape, which will be narrow and long at the end. Square-shaped scarfs are usually 24 inches long all around the side. On the other hand, the height of the rectangular scarfs must be bigger in size. When you wear it, the scarf should be long enough to wrap around your neck several times.
- Cut the fabric
– Once you selected the type of silk scarf you want to make, take the fabric and cut it to the right measurements. It is best to take general measurements into consideration while adding about 1/4 of an inch all around. Adding a little bit more will give you more options for experimenting, and you can always cut out the unnecessary parts if you feel that the scarf is too long. Always add some more before you cut out the fabric.
- Use a serger or sewing machine
– If you are using a serger, it is important to make a rolled hem and finish the edges around the scarf. In case you are using a sewing machine, consider other variants of finishing the edges. You should turn up the edges 1/8″ on all sides and press the edges on all sides. When you are done with all the edges, do another step and fold over the edge another 1/8″. Now, press the edges again and pin all around. For any excess fabric in the corners, use the scissors or some similar tool to remove the unnecessary fabric.
How to style a silk scarf?
The are multiple ways to style a silk scarf, and some of the most popular ones are:
- Make it into a bow around your neck
- Loop it around your shoulders
- Use it as a sunglasses strap
- Tie it around your wrist
- Use it as a belt around your waist
- Wrap it around your handbag
These amazing ways to style a silk scarf will give you an outstanding look wherever you are. Just play with your favorite scarf and find the style you like the most.
The bottom line
Silk scarfs are the universal detail that speaks about style and extravagance. If you choose to make your own silk scarf, you will save a huge amount of money as these scarfs usually have a price of $400 or more. A silk scarf will improve your style and make you stand out from the crowd thanks to this elegant and out-of-the-ordinary piece of accessory.